Just read an insightful article about the way we listen and engage with youth.
Points I took from it
- Adolescents need to be heard and listened too.
- Jesus listened, I need to listen more, I suck at listening.
- Listening builds trust and intimacy, both good for relationships with adolescents.
- When I share I want to give something rather than get. (I am often a selfish sharer)
- I need to be real with them about my own failings if they are to share their struggles.
These things can be hard, its hard to be be open and feel vulnerable. But it’s what adolescents need, if the adult is always on the moral high ground, they will rarely make the trek up to share with them.
Time to go Listen.